Wednesday 1 June 2011

We spoke Up!

Hi my name is Lilibeth Masamloc, from the Philippines. I am a former Child Domestic Worker, I started working at the age of 13. Now, a leader of SUMAPI, a national association of domestic workers in the Philippines which works to uphold the rights and dignity of domestic workers, especially children in domestic work.

In behalf of my colleagues here, we are very much grateful and thankful to all the supports. It was gave us couraged and inspired us to move forward and to Stand as a voice of our fellows child domestic workers around the world.

Just to share with you our first day experienced in the ILC. It was my pleasure having a chance to witnessed the Plenary session and saw the conference hall. After which I had attended Workers' committee briefing where the Chairperson encourage the workers' representative to give their feedbacks on the blue report.

Of course, the very exciting part was when we SPOKE UP during the side event organized by the Anti-Slavery International and partners. All of us were given a chance to discussed the specific issue as well as give solutions to the problems. Because of my experiences in lobbying and being active in the association, I was able to discussed the monitoring mechanism in the Philippines, and how it can create an impact to the lives of child domestic workers around the world. I challenged them that "if the Philippines done to this, then they can do it as well"

We are very excited to attend tomorrow and other session, and we hope to lobby individual representative to support the issue of child domestic worker and to STAND WITH US!

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing to read this! The very best of luck for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi it's Lilibeth again,

    Tomorrow there will be a regional conference on decent work for domestic workers here in Manila. This is organized by the Global Network, ITUC, IDWN, TWG on the Philippine Campaign on Decent Work for Domestic Workers, and Migrant Forum in Asia.

    I am invited to share my experiences in witnessing the 100th International Labor Conference last June 2011. Of course, I'll share to them what are those opportunities and efforts of my co-champions during this event.

    I am very excited. Again, let us continue to provide venue to escalate the views of children especially child domestic workers. Let the voices of child domestic workers be heard.

    Mabuhay.

    ReplyDelete